Sunday, January 6, 2013

Review: Scent of Magic


Scent of Magic
Scent of Magic by Maria V. Snyder

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Sweeeeeeeet strawberry bejesus! What a story.
I have to gather my thoughts on this one! Maria, you killed me with this ending! Do I really need to wait so long to know what happens??? Arghhhhh!
---
Edit: My thoughts are no longer scattered!

Once upon a time I read a book called Poison Study by Maria Snyder, and my love for fantasy, magic & adventure re-emerged. I haven't gone back since and I am glad. Now, this amazing author not only left her job as a meteorologist, but flooded my life with written worlds that are so well done, I couldn't thank her more for her great life choices of becoming a writer.

Okay, enough about the author; now let's focus on the book! Scent of Magic is the second instalment of the Healer series. Set up in a world very much like that one of the Study and Glass series: with kings, queens, wars, realms that are enemies, magic and adventures. The first book took the task of introducing us to this world, where a plague had decimated the population and Avry, our kick-ass heroin is the last healer of this world.
In this second one, we are brought to the aftermath of Avry's decision of healing prince Ryne. Having escaped Tohon and his undead army, Avry goes undercover in Estrid's holy army, making bold movements to be named as a Sergeant. The first half of the book focuses on building up a very good dosage of tension and expectation for us, the reader on when and how will Tohon attacks. It is told from Kerrick and Avry (Sergeant Irina's) POV and in Maria's fascinating style leaves you little cliffhangers when transitioning from each one. I was tempted in more than one time to skip a bit in order to find out what was going to happen... They are that good.

In sum, as a second book of a series is fantastic. To tell you the truth, I enjoyed it a bit more than the first one. Perhaps because I was finally able to detach from the Study series on this one and finally embrace it as a new one? I don't know... But what I did liked more was the issue that was vaguely presented, and maybe will be later developed in this series: history is told from a very biased point view, and reconciliation should be always an option!

Copy of this book was generously provided to me by Harlequin through NetGalley. Thank you for giving me the chance to check this amazing book out!


View all my reviews

No comments: