Sunday, September 2, 2012

Review: Shadow and Bone


Shadow and Bone
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Because Alina's name is so close to mine I was definitely bound to love this book.
And I am happy that this promise was true!! Aaahhhhaaa what a wonderful story!
I will expand this review as soon as I can find the right words. For now, I'll go to bed with an incredible story in my mind :)
---
So this is a 3.5 stars
---
Okay after a full nights sleep I have a fresher brain to start writing this review.

What I liked:

-The book is physically gorgeous! Look at its first Chapter. It is one of those visually appealing books that you can't wait to read.
description
It also has a lovely map, which though is visually gorgeous, sadly it does lack a lot of detail... taking into account that Alina is supposedly a cartographer... I presume is just a nice add on.
description
Anyways, so visually +1

- The setting and world-building is very creative and transports you to a different place/time. A realm which reminded me a lot of to Cashore's Graceling from the Graceling Realm series.
- The Grisha and their powers, specializing in small science.
- The Shadow Fold: which reminded me a bit about the curse on Marchetta's  Finnikin of the Rock from the Lumatere Chronicles

What I disliked:

- Alina and Mal: What the hell?? So this book is written from the viewpoint of Alina. She is an orphan who grew up with Mal. They are both soldiers of the King's Army. It is discovered from early on the book, after a nasty visit to the Shadow Fold that she has apparent Grisha powers. We follow her on this journey of discovery of her powers, the kingdom's forces from behind and the mysteries that surround the chaos on the kingdom. So yes, it sounds fine and a good story is there, but as a character she is very very weak. Naive, and not too bright. Sadly she lacks temper and loyalty. I never understood why she acts how she does...

And Mal... don't get me started. He is spoiled, not nice and takes for granted his friendship with Alina. Yes stuff happens later, but I don't think it is enough. I am not inspired by these characters. Thankfully the story itself is interesting enough to bring entertainment.

Why I will read the next installment:

The Darkling! He is the reason this book is amazing. I cannot tell much of him right now without spoiling the story, so I hope we get more from him in the next books.



View all my reviews

No comments: