Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Dark, bloody and sweet! ~ The Coldest Girl in Coldtown

The Coldest Girl in ColdtownThe Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Three words can describe this book:

Dark, bloody and sweet!

Which are exactly my kind of stories, making it the perfect combination for me ;)
This book is set up in a world where vampires are known to humans and have caused great havoc by spreading their 'virus'. The way this infection has been controlled has been by creating enclosed placed called 'Coldtowns'. And this particular book focuses on Tana, a girl who wakes up after an apparent great party, and realizes her life took an unexpected bloody change. She will then experience a series of events that will make her face lots of intense choices. I know, sounds cryptic, but I really really really don't want to spoil a thing!

I have this not so very healthy obsession with vampires and I'm always craving good vampy books. The good ones are hard to find; so imagine my over-enthusiasm when I found out Holly Black was writing a fanged book! I immediately knew I needed this book, which I am happy to report: OH YEAH, she nailed it!! It hit the mark perfectly :)
You get some dark stuff, an amazing setting for vampires that are no longer hiding and a nicely done set of characters.

I must admit though, that I wasn't a very hard core fan of Tana... Her choices, specially with Aidan seemed too naïve for my taste.
However, all is saved by Gavriel!!! Oh Gavriel, you and your pretty words: 'You are more dangerous than daybreak'
This crazy sexy vampire is now part of my list of favourite fanged ones. You've earned a spot next to Lestat. Yup, you're THAT good!
And on this note, how I wish Holly decided to give us moreeeeee of him in future books!

Instead of reading, I listened to this book and I was so glad I did. It's an entirely different experience. I have this book in both formats, and some things I wanted to re-read. It felt so much different, since the narrator: Christine Lakin, made an excellent job representing the different characters, accents and states of mind! It even had nice musical eerie sounds in the most dramatic scenes! I definitely recommend this format :)

-----
Before it was published:

I was just indulging myself with the short story that made this book, and it gave me goosebumps. It's free to read Here . EDIT It is no longer there :(
This one was published in her book, The Poison Eaters and Other Stories. Enjoy while you wait :-)

View all my reviews

No comments: