Monday, November 4, 2013

Review: Perdition


Perdition
Perdition by Ann Aguirre

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



As a true fan of the Sirantha Jax series, I was very pleased to learn that Ann Aguirre was planning a spin off. And my, oh my! I was utterly, fully, engaged with this new book.
These past weeks have been very hectic in my life, so I have little time to devote to my beloved books. Thus, Audible jumps to the rescue and keeps me sane! Hearing this book took a few weeks, but it was 100% worth it!

It is set in the prison-ship "Perdition". Where factions of prisoners constantly battle for territorial control and resources. Told from different POV's focusing mainly on Dred (or The Dred Queen) and Jael, a character that once surfaced on the Jax series.

Perdition has all the right stuff that makes Aguirre's stories awesome:

1) kick-ass female lead (check)
2) hot-bad boy-tortured male lead (check)
3) fantastic action scenes filled with crazy moves (check)
4) space, spaceships and cool sci-fi tech (check)
5) eerie and diverse set of characters (check), such as Silence or Katur.
6) Tam. Yes, he is back and he is still as enigmatic as ever!!!
7) Superb descriptions (check). Again, Aguirre's writing is great, specially when focusing on fights, gore and blood! Lots of scenes reminded me of "Kill Bill", for example:


The whole room was a blur of misery and violence. This was probably what the Conglomerate had in mind, but I suspect they imagined it would happen sooner. There was an awful beauty in Einar scything through his enemies. He gave no quarter, and the broad swing of his deadly axe demanded the broad clearance his allies offered. Nobody fought near him; they didn’t dare. Even among Grigor’s brutes, he towered head and shoulders above the rest. He was a juggernaut of wrath, dealing destruction to the enemies who rushed him from all sides.

I recommend this book to all Jax lovers out there, new and old and all those who haven't read the series, DO IT! Then, you'll have what to occupy your mind with while we wait for the next instalment of The Dred Chronicles.





View all my reviews

No comments: