Thursday, July 31, 2014

"The bus was old and smelled a bit like feet and desperation - and yes, desperation has a smell. It's not pleasant."

Firebug (Firebug, #1)Firebug by Lish McBride
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book was really fun, I read it a few weeks ago, but the story still sparks inside me (see what I did there?)

Anyways, this was the first book I've read from Lish McBride and though I've read somewhere that it is somehow related or happens in the same world as her previous Necromancer series, you won't really get confused at all if you haven't read it (like me).

This book tells the story of Ava, a cool temperamental girl who happens to be a firebug, basically, she controls fire and makes flames spark at her will. She is forced to work for an evil sort of all mob-like organization for supernatural beings called Coterie, whose head is a power hungry vampire woman called Venus. The job is dirty, as she is the designated unwilling killer for the Coterie.

i pomise to get rid of bodies photo tumblr_mpa1vstnbl1rb324eo1_500_zps4d78a698.gif

However, she has the best two sidekicks: Ezra vain hot guy who shifts into a fox and Locke well centred and no longer wearing a hipster moustache half dryad -tree empath-. The chemistry between these three was just amazing. I savoured every single moment of their adventures.

I loved McBride's writing style! Particularly how she makes her character's intentions and dialogues funny and witty. I had lots and lots of laugh-out-loud moments (my husband worried there for a little while). Even though the book starts a little info-dumpy, it grew on me! It was smart, addictive and ohhhhh... what an ending!!!

Here are some of my favourite lines:

"He always had this sort of hand-in-the-cookie-jar look about him, just bad enough to be fun."

"The bus was old and smelled a bit like feet and desperation - and yes, desperation has a smell. It's not pleasant."

"How on earth did other people manage double lives? Batman must be tired all the time. Of course, Batman also had Alfred to keep his shit straight for him."

pushups1 photo alfred1_zps800c1850.gif
pushups2 photo alfred2_zps9cdefdc3.gif
pushups3 photo alfred3_zps975e541c.gif

...well, this is why you always need sidekicks when battling the underworld ;)

-----
 photo cookingghilbi_zps9658be6d.gif

For my Fictional Meals section, I want to talk about Maple Syrup. This book starts with this sweet-sticky-concoction, one of my favourite spreadable. Ava's firebug skills help out in the process of Maple Sugaring. She basically describes the process and uses her fire to keep it boiling.

maple photo maple_zps83f6d37f.jpg

Yummmmm I was fortunate enough to try the real Canadian deal and let me tell you mhhhhh. Unforgettable! Also, I visited a Maple farm and it was a great experience to see the trees and check out the extraction process.

_
I received an ARC of this book from its publishers, Henry Holt and Co. (BYB)/Macmillan through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. No maple syrup or any other tasty bribe was offered during this exchange.





View all my reviews

No comments: