Monday, May 26, 2014

#ArmchairBEA - Day 1 "Introduction"

By Amber from Shelf Notes

I'm beyond excited to participate for the first time in this year's #ArmchairBEA. Which, for those of you who where as clueless as me a few hours back, this is an awesome virtual event for book bloggers who are unable to attend the famous Book Expo America or/and Blogger Convention held in New York during this week of May. Basically, you get to enjoy BEAness from the comfort of your armchair. Thank goodness for this, as I am in the right continent, but in the wrong hemisphere for BEA.

With further ado (since I'm already joining this #ArmchairBEA party late), here are my 5 answers to the introduction questions.

1)What genre do you read the most?

I love to read fantasy young adult and paranormal romance stories because they usually take me to fictional awesome places. I love "book traveling" with my imagination. And mostly, I find it imperative to read about empowering kickass female characters. I also enjoy the happily ever afters. They bring joy to my life :)    

2) What was your favourite book read last year? What's your favourite book so far this year?

My favourite book read last year was Holly Black's The Coldest Girl in Coldtown. I had it as an audiobook and it was a blast! The narrator was perfect, the story was gritty, dark but hopeful. I am a "sucker" for vampire stories and this one was the perfect fit.

This year, my favourite book so far is Karen Kincy's Shadows of Asphodel. I loved this dieselpunk steamy romance.

3) Share your favourite book or reading related quote:

I have plenty, but I kind of always come back to this quote by Karen Marie Moning on her book Darkfever

"I love books, by the way, way more than movies. Movies tell you what to think. A good book lets you choose a few thoughts for yourself. Movies show you the pink house. A good book tells you there's a pink house and lets you paint some of the finishing touches, maybe choose the roof style,park your own car out front. My imagination has always topped anything a movie could come up with. Case in point, those darned Harry Potter movies. That was so not what that part-Veela-chick, Fleur Delacour, looked like.”

4) If you were stranded on a deserted island, what 3 books would you bring? Why? What 3 non-book items would you bring? Why? 

- The Lumatere Chronicles trilogy by Melina Marchetta. Because they are so rich, beautiful and perfect, I wouldn't mind re-reading them ad infinitum.

- A pocket knife, a tent and a zippo. I'm guessing I need basic survival skills or something in order to be able to enjoy my reading time while stranded on said deserted island.

5) What book would you love to see as a movie?


- Ohhh Ann Aguirre's book Enclave, set in a crazy dystopian world of zombies!

5 comments:

Hazel said... Reply To This Comment

OMG, I listed The Coldest Girl in Cold Town as my favorite book this year! I loved Melina Marchetta's Jellicoe Road but haven't read The Lumatere Chronicles. I am so adding all the books you mentioned to my TBR list! So nice meeting you on this year's Armchair BEA, Lina!

Jessica H said... Reply To This Comment

I love this quote! It's so meaningful and so me! I so agree with it! Have a great Armchair BEA!

Lina G said... Reply To This Comment

@Hazel

Hi Hazel :) fine minds think alike, hehe. Holly Black is a great author and I <3 her. Thank you for your comment and yes, is so nice to meet you too!!!

Lina G said... Reply To This Comment

@Jessica H

Thank you for stopping on my blog :)

I *still* feel the same about Harry Potter movies hehe!!

fredamans said... Reply To This Comment

I think Enclave would be a great movie too!
Great meeting you!