Thursday, April 24, 2014

"The shimmering brilliance of an impossible, desperate solution forced all the air out of Abby's lungs. Escape"

Latimer's LawLatimer's Law by Mel Sterling
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I first read Sterling's manuscript for this book during Harlequin's So You Think You Can Write 2013 competition. I was completely mesmerized by Abby's story and Cade's blue eyes (and yes, loyal furry Mort). A few weeks ago I saw that this was finally a full long book. Thus with lots of enthusiasm I re-visited this story; and let me tell you: it's as good as ever.

This is a neatly emotionally wrapped story about resilience, self esteem and love in the mist of domestic abuse. It will certainly draw your empathic and romantic side. Steeling is an excellent story teller and you'll be devouring Latimer's Law in a very short time.

This story is told from three points of view:

Abby, who in the first two pages ends up committing grand theft auto trying to desperately escape her abused life.

Caede, a blue eyed Deputy who has a loyal four legged companion Mort as part of his job as a K-9 officer. He is smart, caring has some issues of his own and oh so swoon worthy!

Marsh, the meanest of all and basically the antagonist of the story, being the culprit of Abby's domestic abuse. It was very very awful to be in his head. Which means that the author did a good job, by creating a hateful and realistic mad man.

This books occurs in a period of three days, making you wonder how all the little choices can turn someone's life. Being one of the few realistic fiction stories I've read, I know this one has touched me in my wistful romantic side, that still believes in hopeful (and sometimes happy) resolutions for awful circumstances. It's sad, fun, sexy and heart warming.

----

 photo cookingghilbi_zps9658be6d.gif

For my Fictional Meals section I'll have a little food rant.

Abby's Adult Daycare business has clients that are very picky with food. They mostly liked sandwiches: peanut butter with grape jelly and tuna.
I'm aware that peanut butter sandwiches are a North American tradition, but ... really? Is that all for lunch? No fruits, veggies or soups? I was kind of confused about this food choice, specially when I read that the Daycare's business includes a healthy meal... But yeah! I'm just choosy about food.


---
I received this book from Harlequin through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. No peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were offered to any of the parties involved in this process. Thank you for the opportunity to re-read Abby's story!

View all my reviews

No comments: