Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Necromancer's way

Shadows of AsphodelShadows of Asphodel by Karen Kincy
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was prepared to have a Saturday full of errands and husband-time, when I innocently decided to start 'Shadows of Asphodel'. I had this book in my TBR list for some time, as I had contributed to the Kickstarter campaign that made it possible.

Suddenly, 9 hours and 7 minutes afterwards I have been rendered speechless. It's been a while since I sat down and devoured a book from start to finish! And this book....it is impossible to stop!!! I's addictive!! My whole day was well spent savouring every single word written in this book! I want more, and I want it now!! I would happily fund again another Kickstarter campaign in order to have more of Ardis and Wendel.

Let me start by telling you why this book made my day:

It felt real!!!

I know, it's a dieselpunk world... It has magic, a (hot as hell) necromancer and a magic sword, alongside some zeppelins. But wow. The worldbuilding of this story is flawlessly crafted, the characters are solid and the plot is very fast paced. I predicted some 'revelations' that were nicely hinted, but in the overall scheme, it was glorious and epic.

I have read books that touch upon. alternate history with hints of fantasy, and Shadows of Asphodel will definitely go into my top favourite ones. I also enjoy reading a lot from indie authors and I believe Karen Kincy nailed beautifully. This book deserves to be read more.... I might go back and re-read those hot scenes... They are just swoon-worthy!

Now, I'll just go to bed and dream of blood-magic and smoke daggers.

I'm sort of grateful Shadows of Asphodel still doesn't have a sequel out, I do need to get some stuff done tomorrow!

View all my reviews

No comments: