Tuesday, February 18, 2014

My sucker-punched soul

Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #4)Hard Bitten by Chloe Neill
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

WTF??????

^^^ initial reaction after finishing....

Current status: -_-

The past weekend I devoured book #3 & #4 of the Chicagoland vampire series.

I'm emotionally drained. This series is definitely one of my favourite vampire Urban Fantasies, as it caters to all the needs of my greedy reading obsessions:

1) A beautifully described setting, Chicago: haven't been there but I'm dreaming of walking its streets and sampling most of the food that Merit (our main character) loves. This book pays homage to this urban conglomerate with style.

2) Impeccable writing. English is my second language, thus I always appreciate when books teach me fancy new words. I'm both flummoxed and discombobulated by this series. [See what I did there?]

3) Vampires Mon amour! This House system where a Master has control & takes care of the vampires it created, is wonderful. It combines all the paranormal stuff I like with a hint if drama, politics and sexual tension. Brilliant!

4) Food. Lots and lots and lots of it! Surprising enough for a vampire themed story, where you asume that blood is the main course.


Last night I went to bed seething. The poor husband had to calm the beast this book created, with patient soothing words. After a 15 mins rant of me telling him why I was so agitated he smartly remarked:

"Basically, you didn't see it coming? Well, that's good, right? Isn't this why we love A Game of Thrones? Because is ruthless and unexpected?"

Silently, I had to agree.

Chloe Neill, you are a smart ruthless author. My consolation, I already have in my greedy hands Drink Deep(book #5).

Off to salvaging my sucker-punched soul.



View all my reviews

No comments: