Thursday, February 13, 2014

Godstones and coconut scones

The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I have an undying love for high fantasy, naturally, the trilogy 'Fire and Thorns' feeds directly into this sentiment. There are few series that have me speechless and this one ..... Oh weeee, *clap-clap* my respect. I sit in awe after finishing this book trying to find any words that sum up how much I enjoyed it. So far, instalment #2, the 'Crown of Embers' was as good (and much more) than the first one.

Elisa has to face the aftermath of the events from book #1 in Brisadulce. Her queendom is tainted by the knowledge that the Invernos are still looming and she feels a bit lost. This is vague, I know, but I wish to spoil as little as possible.

If you haven't started this series, I encourage you to do so. If not for the high fantasy, with its beautiful scenes, strong characters and crafty plot; then, for the richness of the meals it describes. Here are a few examples of mouthwatering dishes served in this book:

Honey-coconut scones, shredded chicken, corn tortillas (pollo pibil), sticky date pops, meat pies, pistachios, goat cheese omelet with diced scallions and red peppers, salted meat, coconut milk with honey and cinnamon ... and the infamous jerboa soup that got me very curious.

Who wouldn't want to sit down an enjoy with Elisa all these delicious meals?

I volunteer!!

But while I find her in the next book, The Bitter Kingdom, I'll try to make her favourite dish: coconut scones





Here is a recipe I found from the Food Network

Total Time: 40 min
Prep: 23 min
Cook: 17 min
Yield: 20
Level: Easy

Ingredients
4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
2 cups shredded coconut
3 sticks cold unsalted butter, cubed
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon coconut extract
2 cups pecans, finely chopped
2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 to 1 cup confectioners' sugar

Directions

For the Scones:
Make the scones: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, granulated sugar and shredded coconut in a bowl. Beat in the butter with a mixer on low speed, then raise the speed to high and beat until the mixture is in coarse crumbles.

Whisk the coconut milk, eggs and coconut extract in another bowl, then stir into theflour mixture until just combined. Stir in the pecans; do not overmix.

Scoop 2-to-3-inch mounds of dough onto the prepared baking sheets (a large ice cream scoop works well for this). Sprinkle the tops with sugar and bake until golden brown, 15 to 17 minutes.

For the Glaze:
Meanwhile, make the glaze: Whisk the coconut milk, coconut and vanilla extracts and 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar in a bowl until smooth, adding more sugar as needed to thicken. Drizzle over the scones while still slightly warm.







View all my reviews

4 comments:

Kerry Desilva said... Reply To This Comment

Ooh! I must try these scones! Nice review Lina :)

Lina G said... Reply To This Comment

:) thank you lovely Kerry!!!

Kristen @ Pretty Little Pages said... Reply To This Comment

I just got lost in your food tag. Now I'm starving! I've bookmarked this recipe to try whenever I get back from vacation because I love coconut. Yours are so pretty!

Eep. I've never heard of this high fantasy trilogy, so naturally your review has made me realize that I have to read it. :)

Lina G said... Reply To This Comment

@Kristen @ Pretty Little Pages

Kristen, this trilogy is one of my favourites!!!

Read it while having some baked goods ;)