Thursday, August 15, 2013

Review: Water - 'Oh Book. Don't take it personal, it's not me, is you'


Water
Water by Terra Harmony

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



I was curious about this book's premise and cover art. It was enticing enough for me to be inclined to read it. However, I must say, I was utterly disappointed.
This book follows Kaitlin, a very undeveloped character, whose past, intentions, dreams and/or drive is unknown. She is a photographer and ends up kidnapped in an island by a group called The Seven who tell her she has some kind of superpowers, connected to earth's natural equilibrium and its elements.
As a story, it is very lineal, but it has some very few redeeming parts. Particularly those that focus on its environmental or ecological approach, as sustainability, renewal of resources and the sub-context around being conscious when using earth's resources.

But sadly, I was very dissatisfied with many things of this book.

I specially disliked the main character. Kaitlin is very forgettable, unlovable, shallow and inconsequential.
On one hand when she discovers she is 'Gaia' and all that it entails, her reaction is as bland as plain jello. Her newfound strength and powers from nature reflect in zero concern for ecological or sustainable approaches: 1)she wastes food 2) wastes water taking long showers 3) makes food fights... Yes! FOOD fights with raw fish... How un respectful of these resources (animal or not) is she?
Argh it hurts my 'crunchy granola heart'

The whole oh-you-kidnapped-me-but-it's-OK-now-I-will-give-up-my-old-life, taking everything she is told face value!! She doesn't question her captors beyond what they tell her. She doesn't suspect any wrongdoings. She is so naïve, it hurts my eyes just to read what she does/thinks. There is zero -nada- agency on this lady's actions Argh!!
Any-who...
Beyond her being annoying and boring to read, the plot is really meh.

Another issue that made me dislike this book is how her physical and psychological abuse is treated. I think it was very poorly handled and it bothered me. Without spoiling too much anything for potential readers, my main critique lays in the subjugated acceptance of Kaitlin's role. Her individuality gets shattered, her life (job, dreams and friends), personal things (apartment)and her own body is violently treated without her permission. She is forced to do things that she is not okay with, but then the next thing you know, she is drinking with her abuser or just chatting him up in an amicable way. Why didn't she leave the crazy Seven after all the abuse and intrusion in her personal life??? I'm baffled!

I personally will not continue reading this series. This was not a book I enjoyed or would recommend. Simply put: 'Oh Book. Don't take it personal, it's not me, is you'

This book was kindly given to me by Patchwork Press thought NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.



View all my reviews

No comments: