Saturday, July 27, 2013

Fanged books and the use of tremendous language

Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1)Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I love vampire books. I devour with pleasure great quantities of words that portray all those vampy worlds. But I'm particularly interested in the paranormal romance side of vampire tales. In this quest for 'all-things-vampire', I've encountered a big selection of titles that can be separated by their quality. I usually don't expect much of some of the vampy books I read, as I do it just for the pleasure of visiting fantastic worlds where fangs and smoking hot scenes are frequent.

But once every few books I find myself enthralled with an amazing story. This is the case with Chloe Neill's Some Girls Bite. It is told from the POV of Merit, a 28 year old Chicago grad student who is attacked and changed into a vampire without her consent. She lives in a world where vampires recently revealed their existence to the general public.
The book has impeccable grammar and a vocabulary worth of a thousand English tests. I have to admit that I was just drooling like crazy over these beautiful new words (for me) and its colourful uses.

Some examples are:

“I’d prefer to see both knees on the ground. I mean, if you’re going to grovel, be the best groveler you can, right?”

"Immortality does pose its own set of quandaries.”

He just stared at me. “Are you always this obstreperous?”
“I’m not obstreperous. Stubborn, arguably. And don’t start in that I was causing trouble. I was only asking a question.”

"The vitriol and sarcasm he dished out on a daily basis—and there was a lot of it—was clearly a plea for her attention. A dismally unsuccessful plea."

*smiles*---ahhhhhh don't you love reading these lovely words? I do! Specially because I'm always looking for new words to learn.

Anyways... Going back to the book, besides praising the beauty of its words, I was happily impressed with the plot. It follows urban fantasies structures, where our MC wants to unveil a mystery, but in the meantime learns a whole lot about herself. Best part: there are vampires, the steamy hot kind, and many... So yes, this book made me happy. It was a bit predictable, but thanks to its style, pace, language, characters and choices, this book makes up for any flaws.

I'm sooooooo looking forward to read the next titles in the Chicagoland Vampires series!


View all my reviews

No comments: