Monday, June 17, 2013

The living, the dead and the living dead

This is Not a Test Book review: This Not a Test by Courtney Summers
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"We eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner to the soundtrack of our impending death"

I've been taking my sweet time to write down what an amazing disturbing book this was.

On one hand we have a story of family abuse, despair and loss; on the other, we've got this unexpected massive and horrific zombie outbreak.
The story was extremely unsettling, but deliciously written. I felt completely transported to the locations and mind frame it was describing, making this zombie attack almost real.

This is Not a Test focuses on a little group of teenagers who are struggling for survival inside a high school, here they are 'bunkering' out trying to figure out how to survive and what to do since this zombie plague occurred. It is told from Sloane's POV, a girl who was in the brink of ending her life. We dig deep into her thoughts, fears and get some good descriptions of her devastated state when her sister left her; making this particular event of her life what ultimately broke her... as you can guess she is seriously messed up. Thus, the story we are visiting on these pages is oh so very dark and of course, being a zombie apocalypse, full of horrific scenes and scary places. I can still imagine the rattling at the doors described in various chapters from this book.

I don't have much to say except that I really enjoyed reading it. I wish there was a sequel, as This is Not a Test is still haunting me.... I kind of wonder what is happening to Sloane right now...

View all my reviews

No comments: