Monday, May 20, 2013

Review: Poison


Poison
Poison by Bridget Zinn

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I am a fantasy lover and YA book devote. Books with kick-ass female leads are my medicine. Though, I am not technically in the age range for YA literature, I am aware of what I am reading when I dive into it and sort of expect certain themes. However, this book felt a bit too young for me. I felt that I was watching The Little Mermaid or something super cute and Disney like. I know this book's publishing house is Disney, so yeah, not sure why I felt this connection so vividly in this book, since I have read lots of other Disney Hyperion titles. It was still good, but I was expecting something completely different. Regardless, I am glad I read it :) I might even recommend it to my younger cousins.

This book tells the story of 16 year old Kyra, a poison master who is hiding after a failed attempt to murder her best friend and future queen Ariana. Kyra is convinced that she must kill her friend in order to save the kingdom. She sets up on this task with a very unusual tracking animal, a piglet who is later known as Rosie. In her quest she meets a happy - go - lucky guy named Fred who becomes an interesting companion on her adventures. As a master poisoner, Kyra has a lot of tricks under her sleeve and uses tons of creative potions for her needs.

I was drawn to this book because of the cute piglet. Who doesn't want to read a story about a loyal pink cute companion? Well, certainly not me!

It was a cute book with a hint of mystery, surprises and fantastic characters.

A positive remark in this book world we live in is that Poison is a standalone novel! You don't have to worry about the next installments, since this was tightly packed.



View all my reviews

No comments: