Monday, April 29, 2013

“Someone was looking at me, a disturbing sensation if you're dead.”

A Certain Slant of Light (Light, #1)A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Beautiful and haunting.

I was completely unprepared for this book. It's different and challenging, carefully constructed with superb style. I'm not a fan of poetry, but each one of the pages of this book felt like it. I know! I'm inspired and all. Its a paranormal YA plot that coexists with a Gothic novel. It touches various difficult themes beyond the YA norm. It's many stories and one; of two souls and two bodies. It's light and dark, like its captivating title. This standalone book left me wandering, with tears in my eyes.

It begins with Helen, a ghost that has haunted a few hosts over time by making herself a sort of spirit Muse. Her tie to these individuals is through her passion for words and literature. While doing her regular haunting of her current host, an English High School teacher, one of the boys from his class appears to be able to see her. Thus a haunting story of forgiveness, life, love and death,unfolds.

I loved this book. Its atmosphere and prose. I can see it's not for everyone, but for me, it was perfect. Really, its one of those strange books that will keep you completely mesmerised, while savouring each word and page.

My favourite lines:


“Care to offer a sentence with an example of an adverb?” Mr. Brown watched him doubtfully.

“Breathlessly he watched her hand,” said James.

Mr. Brown blinked at him. “Okay.”
-----

“Do you remember an example of where not to insert an adverb?”

James just stared at him.

“To desperately hope,” I whispered.

James let out a breath. “To gratefully believe.”
-----

Finally he said, “Just walk up to your hell and give it a push. Run through it, and I’ll be waiting on the other side.”


View all my reviews

No comments: