Sunday, February 10, 2013

Review: 'Til The World Ends



'Til The World Ends
'Til The World Ends by Julie Kagawa, Ann Aguirre and Karen Duvall.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Uh-oh.... The apocalypse is here!!!!Doomsday arrived and people will die. Some might live through it and will deal with surviving the aftermath. Scary stuff occurs. Rest assured, we've got some good main characters to help us navigate through these troubled times. 3 stories carefully written by Julie Kagawa, Ann Aguirre and Karen Duvall. Yup, this is big. Are you prepared to read what happens when the WORLD ENDS?

____
First story: Julie Kagawa's Dawn of Eden was glorious.

It's written from the point of view of Kylie, a 23 year old doctor who is running one of the few clinics still open after the deadly spread of the Red Lung virus. It is located in the outskirts if DC, and suddenly everything changes when a new patient and his friend arrive.This story will make you cringe, bite some nails and cheer out loud.

Funny thing, I just watched Django Unchained. Quentin Tarantino has a soft heart for for blood and Julie Kagawa was actually giving some very gory descriptions, as such, today I had a very bloody day ;) Nasty thing this 'end of the world' business.

This story is a prequel of the events that occurred in Immortal Rules,  the vampire dystopia, from the 'Blood of Eden' trilogy. Which, by the way, is amazing :-)

----
Second story: Ann Aguirre's Thistle & Throne

Ann Aguirre is very skilled in delivering broken worlds and badass heroines. I loved this story and the short glimpse Aguirre gave us about the world Mari inhabits.
Chemical spills have seriously affected the world. As such, basically people who are rich live inside a compound, have access to food, goods and plants... Etc. However, not all are 'lucky', and they live or survive outside these sheltered places. This is where we meet Mari Thistle, she is from the Red Zone and will do anything to protect her siblings; even partnering up with Throne Goodman, a very dangerous and mysterious man. Yup, this was awesome!

I hurt for Mari and sort of sympathised with Throne. It is a dark short story that will leave you craving for more.
I wish there was a whole book devoted to this place and characters.

----
Last story: Karen Duvall's Sun Storm

This story was hot, in the literary definition, as in the stuff that thermometer measures, making me twitch uncomfortably. I am one of those individuals that abhor the heat. Summer is a bit painful for me as I am not a tolerant person when talking about warm and high temperatures. I cringed with this story because of this, but was very intrigued by it.

The Earth has suffered from a series of Sun storms that left the planet dry and affected all living beings with dangerous radioactive sun sparks. Whoever is exposed to these sparks, dies slowly of a Sun Fever. The rare outcome of this exposure: a few persons may end up with superpowers of sorts called Kinetic.
Sun Storm tells the story of Sarah, a kinetic who can predict sun storms and her encounter with Ian, another mysterious kinetic who just moved to her broken town. It focuses on their encounters, their powers and how they can alter the world they live in.

My thoughts on this story: it feels too rushed. The main characters are too bland. What drives Sarah? Why is she so goody goody and naïve? Many things on the actual cause of the Sun being evil don't add up, specially the end. To tell you the truth, it was my least favourite of the three. It felt a bit unpolished and unbelievable (yes, I'm aware that I'm reading a post apocalyptic story).

Regardless, it was entertaining :-)

-----

As a whole, this book rocked my socks. Anthologies are tricky, but this one nailed it. There is despair, deception, love, strength, loss, endurance, madness and above all, survival. I feel I'm getting better prepared for that dreadful Apocalypse everyone is talking about. At least I'm studying the skills necessary for survival while enjoying my favourite reads! Deadly virus that can turn you into an infected vampire-zombie, chemical spills and dangerous bossmans who you want to avoid, and a sun over-baked planet, thirsty and sick. Surviving is the key 'Til the World Ends.
______

This book was kindly provided to me by the publisher, Harlequin, through Netgalley. Thank you!




View all my reviews

No comments: