Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Book review with pizza on my mind


Crash (Visions, #1)Crash by Lisa McMann
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

My first reaction after finishing this book: I want pizza, now!! And surprisingly so, since I really don't like it as much. Second, what a strange plot.

This book's main plot circles around two families who own Italian restaurants. The Demarco's and Angotti's are each others main competitors in Chicago. Jules Demarco goes to the same school as Sawyer Agnotti. Both were very close until 7th grade. Jules is now 16, and helps in her family restaurant when not in school. So does her siblings. But suddenly something really freaky happens to her. Jules starts seeing an event, a crash, constantly streamed to her on various surfaces, mainly, on a big Jose Cuervo billboard. She is the only one who sees it. The same crash, over and over. The whole story we are driven by her desparation to try to understand why this vision occurs, if this is happening, what it means, is it real? We learn a lot of Jules' family business and her devotion to it. But sadly, the main characters are very undeveloped. I feel Jules is just a means to tell a story, Trey could use more paragraphs and Sawyer has no depth. Perhaps we learn more about Antonio, Jules' father than anyone.

I was surprised to read a Lisa McMann's book that was not in neutral present tense such as the Wake trilogy.

The book was okay...entertaining. It reads very quick. Probably it took me 3-4 hours to finish. But the story... Lets just say, I want to know more. Danger+Italian food+love+insanity= leaves a unusual paranormal mix.

There is a lot that was not resolved in this book, and many unnecessary references, for example, the Jose Cuervo billboard (why I'm I craving pizza instead of tequila, after reading so many times about this billboard, no clue).(view spoiler)[The whole feud between families and almost 'forbidden' love, was very dramatic, reminding me of Romeo & Juliet. But why the visions occur is not well developed. Specially at the end when Sawyer tells Jules he sees something in the (guess) Jose Cuervo billboard that no one else sees. 

There are also a couple of things that bothered me. The lightness in which mental illness is touched and domestic violence. If you read this book, you'll know what I mean. Perhaps in the next books these themes will take a main spotlight and be better developed. I hope so. I am counting on Lisa McMann on this, since she did a beautiful job with OCD in Cryer's Cross.


View all my reviews

No comments: