Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Review: Born of Shadows


Born of Shadows
Born of Shadows by Sherrilyn Kenyon

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I really enjoy the world in which these stories are set and the inhabitants of these planets. There are many familiar places, people and gadgets; as well as crazy loyalties and the Sentella's wonderful power. This is a world that has spawned wings in my imagination. And for that I truly enjoy reading Kenyon's work. However, don't expect a witty literary masterpiece. If you are, stop right now and search for another author. Kenyon's books are very predictable and share similar storylines between them. The only "hidden" surprises are the people and actions behind all the ploys crafted upon the main characters.

This latest book from the League contains a lighter read and a straight forward romance. The MC are less dark and tortured than the previous 3 installments. But they surely follow the same pattern of relationship building. Yes, this is expected, but why else would you dare to read these books? I found this particular book more involved in the building of the relationship and character's adventures and with only one *gasp* yes, 1 masterfully (Kenyon's style) described sex scene. Wow, I did not see that comming taking into consideration the tally of its predecesors (not that I'm keeping tabs ir anything), and the length of this book (+400 pages). But don't get me wrong. I really did enjoy this book. Specially all the familiar people I have met before.

My biggest dislike is perhaps the assassination plot and how it is unravelled since it really did confused me quite a bit.

I will however continue forward reading the stories of the League. It is simply a great fantasy spacy world to get lost in readerdom :)



View all my reviews

No comments: