Friday, July 13, 2012

Review: The Space Between


The Space Between
The Space Between by Brenna Yovanoff

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



What a strange sad and lovely book. I was hesitant to read another story of fallen angels... But I was pleasantly surprised. This is a dark story of life, death, sorrow, love and redemption. All carefully crafted around a neatly constructed story of hell, demons, and the purpose of choices and humanity.

Oh I did not expect this book at all. Nowadays books on the YA genre are becoming less original and more plain, but in some rare moments you get one of these books that surprises you. The prose was good, calculated and direct. The story is told between two angles Daphne's and Truman's who intertwine magnificently. Daphne's life is strange and sad, she is the daughter of Lilith and Lucifer. Her half-brother Obi is missing on earth and she will go there to try to find him. She enlists the help of Truman and discovers much, much more than she imagined.

One of the things that moved me too much was the way we are introduced to Truman's pain and sadness. His suicide attempt is presented without any ribbons or cover-ups. His depression is so raw it kind of made me ache a bit reading his story. I understand this is a reason why many will find this book not as enjoyable, but I savored every bit, always finding strength when things seem lost is one of my personal views in life... Oh yes, a positive note has to be there somewhere.

This is not a book for everyone, but I do recommend it. Specially since it is a rare find these says to have a book that is not part of a series and is a standalone story.



View all my reviews

No comments: