Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Review: Bitterblue


Bitterblue
Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Hi, my name is Lina and perhaps I am a book addict. I devoured in one sitting the +500 pages of Bitterblue. Sadly, I was not Impressed. I think that I didn't stop hoping, wishing and expecting it was going to get better and with that hope in my mind I kept on reading, and reading and then it ended. I can't say that the book was boring since I couldn't stop reading, I can't say it was dull, since it kept me glued, but what I can say it was not good. I closed the last page and I thought: I did not enjoy this. Graceling and Fire pushed the bar too high for me... And this book did not even come close to Fire, the one I least liked of the two. Even with the appearance of Katsa, and Po and other favourite characters from the Seven Kingdoms. The book itself is beautiful, with fancy inner jacket purple drawings and wonderful evocative images on each chapter.

I've been thinking all day: why was I not pleased with Bitterblue, and I might have the answer: I don't like the story and the pace. I understand that this is a story about the aftermath of a terrible man's rule, king Leck, and how people try to keep on living, but the mysteries, puzzles and secrets that are told could be solved with less words and more action. The plot did not convince me a bit, the storytelling was too stretched and the secondary characters, specially Sapphire are left without to much development. Only the final chapter, when things are revealed was fun to read.
The beauty that this series carries is the only reason I gave it 3 stars. I will treasure Graceling and try to forget about Bitterblue for a while.



View all my reviews

No comments: