Friday, June 29, 2012

Review: Daughter of Smoke and Bone


Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Dear Laini Taylor: what can I write that it is not covered in the +4,000 reviews your book already has? I can honestly say that I am very very glad I was introduced to this creative world you wrote about. Chimaeras and angels, Prague and goulash, art and words. Ohhh it's a wonderful wonderful world carefully constructed inside 417 pages. In many parts I felt I was reading a beautiful poem. From the beginning we know something beautiful yet simple is going to happen, specially after we are introduced with these words: Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.

This book tells the story of Karou, a blue haired seventeen year old girl who has been raised by Brimstone, a Chimaera who runs from his store an underground trade of wishes for teeth in the human world. He and two more chimaeras are the caregivers of Karou for as long as she can remember. She is living in Prague, while she is studying art and knows many languages and places, she is very proficient in martial arts and loves to visit with her friend Zuzanna a restaurant called Poison Kitchen, where they serve goulash on tables shaped as coffins. She has a secret life as the errand girl of Brimstone, but everything she knows (and craves to find out) is about to change...

The world and words builded around this story are amazing. I can only wish that the next installment comes fast!!!



View all my reviews

No comments: