Friday, June 1, 2012

Review: Battle Royale


Battle Royale
Battle Royale by Koushun Takami

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



5 minutes have elapsed since I read the final page and closed the book. And I feel my head in full over-drive mode. What a ride!!! Battle Royale you delivered beautifully your gory-adventure full of despair, helplessness and survival. I really really enjoyed this book.

The premise [before The Hunger Games existed, this was crafted]: 42 students are forced to kill each other in a set environment called: The Program; and only one can survive.

I cheered for some, wished wrongfulness, had nightmares with one very sinister student whom made sure to keep a steady deadly route; and restrained myself in various occasions from yelling to the characters I was reading about, in order for them to stop some crazy trains of thought and get their mindset straight. It was amazing! And now I see why Hunger Games are easily compared with it. It is similar for its premise, but it delivers it's magic in such a different way.

My only critique is that some stories from these students felt incomplete. It feels that some things are left with many loose ends, such as the society in which is set, the aftermath, Shogo's story.... however, it could be that even though it's rich enough, I ended up craving for more, so it is not entirely negative.




View all my reviews

No comments: