Saturday, June 23, 2012

Review: Fifty Shades of Gray

Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1)Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

In real life, I am shamefully a marketer's and social media's dream come true. Advertisements that are well presented find a direct line in my brain, as well as word of mouth and posts online. As such, after reading everywhere possible during my daily commute in the subway all these things that this book supposedly contains, and all the mixed reviews I was receiving from many sites and friends (including fun wonderful Facebook critiques, specially one from a cherished lady, Jess), I could not help myself and succumbed into reading the Fifty Shades...

It is one of those books that you can't stop reading, even though you are not enjoying... I made an initial comparison with Twilight when I was trying to describe this apprehensive feeling while reading to my lovely husband, pairing up Bella with Anastasia, the latter I described as being 10x more annoying than the vamp loving chick. This comparison was made without the prior knowledge that the book was written as Twilight fan fiction. But it grew horns, a twisted tail and without the vampire, this comparison lost all sense, and so did the book. I don't even know why I ended up reading it [and worse, as it stands I have just finished reading its sequel].

Anastasia is a very disappointing character. She has a lot of potential as a main strong female lead, but her qualities and wits end up being better described by others, rather than by her actions. She is completely mesmerized by Christian Grey, a man who, in my most humble opinion represents an obscure fantasy by an unhappy woman from another century. Rich, moody, violent, obsessive, possessive, over controlling, detached with reality and lacking any depth.... who wants to dream and get all worked up by a guy who is stalking your every move through your phone's GPS, after having only shared what, a max. 2 hours of your life with? tsk-tsk-tsk first sign there is something definitely wrong with Anastasia.... she does live in a fantasy world after all.

The sexual content (one of the reasons I read in my subway ads: 'It is no surprise women like sex'.... *face palm*) was perhaps one of the interesting explanations I can think of why this book is read. The story is very tasteless and obvious, but the way it shows the Bondage/Discipline/Submission lifestyle is enthralling and creative, it was richer than I expected and to my surprise it felt stoic at the same time.

The literary figures and actions were too repetitive. The eye rolling, lip biting and inner goddess were extra features that were included so many times, and in very similar contexts that made me want to break my vow of not harming books and re-edit this book with some corrector or a sharpie.... but I was reading it on my e-reader, so my book-vow is still unbroken...

However, after finishing, I have to admit: I was curious and really wanted to know what was going to happen, specially with the mild cliffhanger at the end! So... yes, I just finished the sequel after this guilty reading pleasure, and maybe, perhaps some day I will dare to read the third... who knows, maybe Christian will end up becoming a vampire and decides to drain Anastasia, or she is bitten by a zombie and then, this book will be fantastic.

View all my reviews

No comments: