Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Review: Unholy Ghosts


Unholy Ghosts
Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I enjoy dark, fast-paced, urban fantasy stories, and this one has all the ingredients I like:
1) a very powerful independent witch, who happens to be an unforgiving heroine, full of flaws, a junkie and with great tattoos! 2) a world full of chaos: where ghosts and magic coexist 3) fun musical references from bands I like, such as Misfits 4) mysterious antagonists who create a mess of things 5) dark -and hard to not root for- male counterparts.

Cesaria... I love her name, too bad her nickname is Chess, but okay, It has a nice sound as well. She has serious issues, she is a witch who works for the Church, the institution that took over controlling 'peace' after ghosts decided to take over. She has this addiction problem that makes her in debt with a drug-pimp lord. She must work for him in order to pay her debt on a dangerous job, where she is the only one capable of finding a solution.

We read this story through her POV, and oh my... what a ride. She really needs to find some soul solace soon. I found that her life is headed towards a straight one way train collision, and this is only the beginning. It's what I liked about this book. You can't expect her life to turn around and make amends very quickly. No, this book shows you that because her life is so messed up, many many things need to happen in order to have her think and act differently. I know it's fantasy, but the way Chess is developed makes her very human, battling with all this stuff that makes us unique.

So, it begins a new series of books to read... can't wait to find the second one, 'Unholy Magic'.

On a side note, why is my public library only carrying this first book!!!! I hate when they do this :(




View all my reviews

No comments: