Monday, May 14, 2012

Review: The Book of Blood and Shadow


The Book of Blood and Shadow
The Book of Blood and Shadow by Robin Wasserman

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



'Words do not belong to those who speak them'

400 year old letters, an unsolved cryptic manuscript, Latin, Prague, Francis Bacon, Johannes Kepler, philosophical dilemmas, the tale of the Golem, history, alchemy, God and the messy debate between science and nature. All these neatly packed up within 432 pages of pure intrigue, romance, friendship, poetry, loss, adventure and mystery.
What a ride! I had no clue what I was getting into when I first opened this book. I found myself going back to my first year of undergrad lessons of the history of science and the way people became obsessed with finding answers to God, life, science and nature during the transition between the reinasance and the age of enlightment. I looooovvveeedd this book. It has so much depth. It cleverly brings all these debates into play and makes our characters speak through modern views how this is still valid.

Don't get discouraged by the cover, the picture in the front does not make the best selling point of this book. However, the inside has beautiful figures full of symbols around circles on each one of the IV parts of this book. Great excerpts from classics, and delicate silhouettes in the flipjacket of what I think could be parts of an old skyline of Prague with a medival character and all.

This story reveals itself bit by bit. We start at the middle, as it is overtly described in page # 1. It reveals something new every time making it a wonderful historical mystery to solve, though our characters keep being warned and forewarned: 'Some things are not ours to know'.



View all my reviews

No comments: