Thursday, April 26, 2012

Review: Cryer's Cross


Cryer's Cross
Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



So last night I sat down for a quick read before going to sleep. And I told myself, just a couple of chapters and off to dreamland.... 4 hours later I was finishing this book. I was glued, instantly enthralled and highly awake. I'm a zombie right now, but a happy one. I got my brain food dose out of this dark little book.

It tells the story of Kendall and her life in Cryer's Cross a small farming town in the U.S. Her life gets messy after the vanishing of two people from her school. One is a random student at the beginning of the book, another one is a close person to her.

I love ghost stories and mysteries. They bring JOY to my life! This one was an entertaining one and I like how Lisa McMann writes.

Another interesting fact that caught my attention on this book was the dedication at the beginning. Lisa's daughter suffers from OCD the same as the main character, Kendall. I assume this first hand experience made me even more curious as of how Kendall lives her life and explains her behaviour and ultimately how OCD saves her life, something that made me smile, thinking about how this imagined story was sort of a gift from the author to her daughter. The second issue which resolves the mystery of the disappearances was also striking. Yes, this is a story about a haunted desk, but the desk was part of a Reform School with a sadist and cruel headmaster.
The side story of the Reform School caught my attention and my anthropological brain kicked in, (mind you it was probably 3 am) so I ended up making comparisons with Residential Schools and all the pain they brought to people who were affected by them.

The bottom line, all the things that crossed my mind while reading this book made me like it.




View all my reviews

No comments: