Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Review: The Way We Fall


The Way We Fall
The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I picked up this books because it was recommended along some dystopian novels I've been reading and it was getting a lot of attention at the Goodreads portal. Also, the author lives in my same city, and I do like supporting local authors and enjoy references to things and places I'm familiar with.

However, I was not expecting this story at all. For some reason it ended up being more realistic than I imagined. Having said that, I want to point out that I am a sucker for books, movies and pop culture references that touch upon viruses, epidemics and large scale contagion. (If it ends up with zombies, better- not the case in this book though). And this book delivers smoothly-I'm still hoping\dreaming about zombies- as it describes what happens to a teenage girl in an island that is affected by a deadly unknown virus.
I felt like this book was a mixture beetween the H1N1 spread + Movies: Contagion and Outbreak and Anne Frank's letters. These all blend in Kaelyn's POV as she writes down 3 months of how life changed with the spread of the deadly infection.
The bottom line: the story is entertaining, but the main character annoys me. Kaelyn doesn't feel real to me. Her head is too simplistic, and maybe she feels way much more mature, non-rebellious goody-good for a regular teenager who is living quite of a hellish experience. If it was me in that situation I would be meaner, more flawed and less idealized. Life is not that simple. One thing that I did like about her was her determination. This is a good quality to highlight when faced by challenging situation.

So I recommend it for whoever wants a bit of a paranormal/dystopian/zombie break, but be warned that the cliffhanger at the end is frustrating! And yes, I'll be reading the next one just to find out what happens with those still alive.



View all my reviews

No comments: