Friday, March 9, 2012

Review: Finnikin of the Rock


Finnikin of the Rock
Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Wow. I savoured every single word of this book. Melina Marchetta's way with words has struck again on the fine core of my heart-brain. I love fantasy, and this is one of the most realistic fantasy written books I've read. It's taking a well deserved place in my favourite fantasy bookshelf next to almighty Tolkien. Yeah, I'm that impressed.

This story is set in a land called Skuldendore and describes the lives of those who survived the aftermath of a terrible curse in one of its kingdoms Lumatere. 10 years have passed since Lumatereans were forced to exile as a result from the slaughter of their king and a dark cloud that enclosed the realm. We travel this land alongside Finnikin of the Rock, the son of Trevanion- whom is the captain of the Guard-. Finn is trying to help the exiles scattered in camps throughout Skuldendore. This book starts with a journey where he is summoned by a novice Evanjalin. 

I'm familiar and have worked a lot with human rights issues and displaced communities; and even though this is a fantasy novel, Finnikin of the Rock touches many delicate situations communities face when loss, threats for their life, survival and impotence finds them. You will encounter the need for solidarity, which is very relevant for our everyday life... as you may imagine, humanity and its meanings bleed from these pages!

This is just a brief description of the setting, spoiler free, since Finnikin's world is so rich and complex, I see myself re-reading it over and over again.

I pre-ordered last night the sequel: Froi of the Exiles -to be published March 13- **giddy dance**

my precious photo mypreciouss_zpsbbcb74e2.gif

View all my reviews

No comments: