Thursday, March 15, 2012

Review: Enclave

Enclave (Razorland, #1)Enclave by Ann Aguirre
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Edit:
I have to admit I didn't enjoy too much my first read of Enclave. Perhaps the moment when I was reading it I had gone through a few too many dystopian/zombies/post-apocalyptic books in a row so I didn't fully grasped the beauty of what Ms Aguirre created. Oh boy was I so wrong! I received a copy of Enclave from Ann after an awesome twitter contest and I gave it a second chance before I started with Outpost, thus my original 2 star review was dramatically changed ;)

im so cool photo imsocool_zps90e9b626.gif 
I'm so cool I can change my mind

----
Original review:
Blah. It was okay.
But it took me quite a while to finish it. It dragged and dragged. I started reading it as an e-book, and ended up taking it from the library. I wanted to see if actual print made the difference. And it did, yay! Finished - now I can gently pat myself in the back; you did it Lina-

This is a book about a post- apocalyptic - zombie infested world. People who live in subway tunnels in cities underground and their fight for survival.

Some parts from this story reminded me of an exercise my Intro to Archaeology prof assigned. She asked us to write an essay describing what will archaeologist find in our home-city in 500 years, if it got completely preserved and covered in sand, mud, something that will keep it 'frozen in time'. What will they interpret of the artifacts. What lifestyle will they imagine for the people who created and used the artifacts. Ultimately, what would you think of the past without any previous knowledge or background. The only context is the present.
And with this mind-set, this book makes creative attempts to show us this future and how the characters find themselves in situations of (re) discovery of a previous society (our current one).
But the book itself is not fun to read. The main characters lack any sense of charisma. I found myself more interested in the zombies -and actually rooting for them every time they made an appearance-, than in the humans.

At this point I don't know if I will be interested to read the sequels.

View all my reviews

No comments: