Friday, February 24, 2012

Which one I (dis)like more... fangs and mustache, sparkly god, blond, brown hair...

I was reading about this cool idea of a book fan that uses a law enforcement software to create digital images of suspects, and applies it for making images of characters in novels, based in the descriptions from the books. He's doing it mostly on characters from mysteries and is accepting requests online. 
And this got me thinking, hey I would love to see the characters I love, and if you know me, you must be aware that I love vampires. They are my favourite characters in novels and I am sucker for anything vampire related. So I sat down planning to write to him to make a cool image from my favourite vamp, and he requires the description from the novel on the request form. Turns out that I have not expected to find myself in a character dilemma, either ugly, too broad or full of stereotypes...  which description I (dis)like more. 


Here are my options:     


Count Dracula from Bram Stoker's Dracula
"His face was a strong, a very strong, aquiline, with high bridge of the thin nose and peculiarly arched nostrils, with lofty domed forehead, and hair growing scantily round the temples but profusely elsewhere. His eyebrows were very massive, almost meeting over the nose, and with bushy hair that seemed to curl in its own profusion. The mouth, so far as I could see it under the heavy moustache, was fixed and rather cruel-looking, with peculiarly sharp white teeth. These protruded over the lips, whose remarkable ruddiness showed astonishing vitality in a man of his years. For the rest, his ears were pale, and at the tops extremely pointed. The chin was broad and strong, and the cheeks firm though thin. The general effect was one of extraordinary pallor."


Lestat de Lioncourt from Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles 
"Lestat stands at six feet, with thick rather curly blonde hair that is not quite shoulder length and which appears white under fluorescent lighting. He has grey eyes that easily absorb the colours of blue or violet from surfaces around them. His nose is fairly short and narrow, while his mouth is well shaped though slightly too large for his face, and is capable of looking very mean or extremely generous, but always sensual. As the living dead, his face is constantly animated and beautiful with his skin deathly white and highly reflective forcing him to apply make up for cameras of any kind, and when starved of blood his skin becomes shrunken with veins like ropes appearing over the contours of his bones. His only feature that proves he is not human is his glazed fingernails which give the impression that they are made of glass."


Edward Cullen from Stephanie Meyer's Twilight 
"His skin is "like marble"---very pale, ice cold, and sparkles in the sunlight. She describes his facial features as being perfect and angular---high cheekbones, strong jawline, a straight nose, and full lips. His hair, which is always messy, retains the unusual bronze shade that he inherited in his human life from his biological mother. His eyes, once green, are now described as a gold. His appearance changes if he goes long without feeding: his eyes darken, becoming almost black, and purple bruises appear beneath his eyes. Edward is 6'2", and has a slender but muscular body."


Adrian Ivashkov from Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy
"Adrian Ivashkov – A royal Moroi and great-nephew of the queen. He has messy but stylish brown hair, emerald green eyes, and high cheekbones; 6'1" tall. He, like Lissa, is a Spirit user and suffers the same side effects as she does. He numbs the effects by drinking alcohol and chain smoking. "


I think I should just stick to my REAL vampires: 
Spike and Angel 

or my favourite Lost Boy, David

 

No comments: